Home ........ Travels ........ Web 3D ........ Socials

Monday, October 07, 2013

Wireless Worries Washed Away

For the amount of times we have people over the house that want to use my WIFI, giving out my super-secret hidden SSID and complex security passcode isn't a hassle. But I am giving out my super-secret hidden SSID and complex security passcode! Which means these people could at any time park inconspicuously outside my house on our dead-end cul-de-sac road and steal WIFI access siphoning off precious bandwidth and accessing nefarious web sites.

Of course, I'm not really worried about that, but with DD-WRT running, I can easily set up a second visible guest network ... so why not?

There are plenty of guides out there - some better than others. I won't create my own here. I did find the DD-WRT Wiki the most useful of all the links I visited.

I used the GUI to set it up. I created the second visible guest SSID. I used the same security - this time with an easy password. I created the bridge and assigned the bridge group. I created the secondary DHCP service. I tested and all was working well.

I was a bit confused about the DHCP setup, so I'll detail that here. I followed the step to create a secondary DHCP service for the guest network under "Setup" -> "Networking" tabs in the GUI. However, they mention DNSMasq and I knew I was running the primary DHCP service (found on "Setup" -> "Basic Setup") without DNSMasq enabled.

Ultimately, I enabled DNSMasq by going to "Setup" -> "Basic Setup" and clicking the check box for "Use DNSMasq for DHCP" and then enabling DNSMasq on the "Setup" -> "Services" tab by clicking the "Enable" radio button next to "DNSMasq". I did not enter the additional DNSMaq configuration into the text box like the Wiki shows. I didn't need to. A verification from the command line proved this:

root@DD-WRT:/tmp# more dnsmasq.conf
interface=br0,br1
resolv-file=/tmp/resolv.dnsmasq
domain=domain.net.
dhcp-leasefile=/tmp/dnsmasq.leases
dhcp-lease-max=20
dhcp-option=lan,3,192.168.10.1
dhcp-option=br1,3,192.168.2.1
dhcp-option=6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4
dhcp-range=lan,192.168.10.100,192.168.10.109,255.255.255.0,1440m
dhcp-range=br1,192.168.2.100,192.168.2.110,255.255.255.0,60m

The above DNSMasq config shows my primary LAN (lan = 192.168.10.0/24) and the new guest LAN (br1 = 192.168.2.0/24) set up to hand out addresses, default gateways and DNS servers.

I didn't bother with any additional iptables rules. Tests revealed I could not connect from the guest LAN to the primary LAN and vice-versa - which is what I want.

Now we just need to invite some more Internet-savvy guests over!

No comments :

 

Copyright © VinsWorld. All Rights Reserved.