Home ........ Travels ........ Web 3D ........ Socials

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Notepad++ Git Integration**

I've been trying to get Git integration in Notepad++ with a plugin for some time now. I came up with a project based on someone else's attempt at converting an SVN plugin to Git. It works, but certainly not ideal. It basically provides buttons to call command lines of Git for Windows, which I always have installed.

I'd heard of Tortoise Git, but didn't want another version of Git installed - but after some research, that's not how it works. In fact, it's exactly what I want!

Tortoise Git requires a command line version of Git installed, so it's not another Git client - it's using the Git for Windows I already have installed - including my existing .gitconfig. Tortoise Git is basically a Windows Explorer context menu interface to Git. I always have Explorer Plugin for Notepad++ installed (there's even a 64-bit version), which provides an expansion to the "Standard Menu" in it's right-click context menu. And Tortoise Git show up there! Perfect Explorer / file integration with Tortoise Git icon overlays directly in Notepad++. It looks seamless.

I still use Notepad++ 32-bit because some plugins just aren't on 64-bit yet (namely DBGp Plugin, MultiClipboard and SourceCookifier), but I installed the 64-bit version of Tortoise Git and it works fine - probably because the Windows shell integration - it isn't itself a Notepad++ plugin.

No comments :

 

Copyright © VinsWorld. All Rights Reserved.